The Garden plan
An incomplete history ...
The property that is known as Whistlewood was subdivided from The Barn in August 1950. The original owners were Rosa Davies and Margaret Joyce Davies of Heidelberg. The next owner named on the title deed was Honora Jean Holdsworth a nurse from Croydon who became the owner in April 1968.
It is unclear when the house was initially constructed, possibly in the 1960s extending a small cottage. It was further extended with a renovation starting in the late 1990s.
Neither the original house nor the garden, as far as we know, were designed or constructed with input from Edna Walling, although both are clearly within her guidelines – the house has cottage feel, and the garden with rooms, walls and paths and abundant plantings. Edna Walling lived next door at The Barn from the time the land was subdivided until she left for Queensland in 1967.
2017 Fred Tropp-Asher and Susan Pepper purchased the property.